Friday, April 10, 2009

Letter from Elder Carty 4/4/09


Family,Thanks for all the info. Where will he be buried and where is the service at? It was really nice to talk to everyone on wed. It was a good boost for me. Its been a hard past few days. Ive still been working but my mind and thoughts have been elsewhere. Im doing my best to stay focused and work as hard as i can. Have I told you about the Walkers? They are the senior couple who teach the institute classes here. We bring investigators to the class every wed. night and i actually will get institute credit for it cause ill have gone for the whole semester. Anyways, Ive gotten to know them really well. They have both lost their spouse that they were sealed to and are married together just for this life. Elder Walker knows the scriptures inside and out so we always go to him for questions. I talked to them about Josh yesterday and he gave me a blessing. It was very helpful and Heavenly Father told me truly how much the Holy Ghost can comfort us during these times. Jesus Christ has suffered this very ache and pain we feel as we yearn to be with Josh. He knows from experience how to run to us and lift us up. I learned from conference this morning that the best way we can receive that comfort and peace from the Holy Ghost is by serving others. I have experienced the true joy and peace that comes from serving others when I am in pain. I dont know how it is even possible but somehow every worry, every stress, every pain, and every sorrow is completely lifted from me when I am serving the Lord and bringing the gospel and joy I have from it to everyone I meet. Never be afraid to share the gospel and to set the example to everyone. By being exactly obedient to God's commandments and sharing the gospel to others I know we will all find the comfort and joy that only the Saviour can bring. Anyways, enough deep stuff. My companion and I have a lot of fun together. One of us randomly starts beat boxing in our apartment and then the other joins in but it only lasts for about ten seconds before one of us starts laughing. Its hilarious! My legs are exhausted from all the biking we have done this week! We had to bike halfway across town the last few days and nobody was home most of the time. Some of our baptism dates arent as solid as we thought but we'll get them there. Its hard when nobody ever answers the phone. Elder Probert and I have also had some pretty intense ping pong duels at the institute. We usually play a few games while we eat lunch. We are pretty evenly matched and have both won a lot. He has some wicked serves he always saves for the end though. My bike tire went flat last night after all the biking we did and i had to walk it home. Luckily we had at least made it to the street we live on. Some members are driving us around today between sessions to do everything. Aaron, Ill have to help you build you're helicopter! Sounds awesome! How are you doing? Guess what? We're having pizza for lunch! Wish i could go there for the weekend. Love ya! Thank you mom and dad for your love and support throughout my life and especially now. I have come to recognize and appreciate all the gospel principles you have raised me with. Thanks for being the example to me of how to live righteously. Thanks for everything! Hows Aaron and Caleb doing with everything thats happened? Ill try to send them a letter. Rachel, Hows everything going? It was good to talk to you on wed. and hear a familiar voice. Thanks for being such a good friend and sister. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you. Feel free to write me or email me about anything you are struggling with or need advice about. Or just someone to talk with about josh or anything else. Im always here for you. I wish i could type faster so i could write more...Time to get going to eat pizza that a member is so generously donating to the Carty-Probert Stomach Relief Fund. And then watch conference! Tell everyone thats there this weekend, especially Grandma and Grandpa and Doug, Natalie, Cathy, Carol, cousins, friends, etc. i said hi and that i love and miss them. Love,Elder Carty

No comments:

Post a Comment